Many additives in paints have their own function and can enhance the overall qualities of the paint. In this article, we will let you go through different paint additives and what functions they perform in the paint. Down below we have mentioned some of the additives and the functions they perform.
- The additive, Methylcellulose, performs the function of preventing paint pigments from settling. This function gives paints smoothness, consistency, and improves adherence to milk paint. Methylcellulose also performs the function of the hardening of lime and improving the opening time of grouts in paints. One of the functions of Methylcellulose is to help in protecting grouts and paints from over dryness.
- The function anti-foaming agents or defoamers perform in pains are essential to ensure the quality of the paint. To better understand the function of anti-foaming agents, it is essential to study thoroughly the behavior of such additives. The anti-foaming agents or defoamers in the paint also perform the function of hiding unevenness or flaws of the walls. Always remember to check if your paint has defoamers in it or not.
- The function that titanium dioxide performs in paint is usually to create white pigment. Its main function is to create white color. Titanium dioxide has such strong functional properties that only a micrometer-sized titanium dioxide is enough to cause a bright white color. Another function of titanium dioxide in paints is to work as a UV filter and protects the bonding material of the paints. This function can save your exterior wall from excessive heat and sun damage.
- The function of aluminum paste sheet coatings is to provide a bright and glossy appearance in the paints. This function is due to the spectral and diffuse reflectivity of aluminum paste. Another function of aluminum paste is that it has a high buoyancy and coating capacity and reflects light and heat away from the substrate. Therefore, it is suitable for heat resistant applications. This function can save your kitchen walls from extra heat and damage.
- For better functionality, one can also use acrylic paints or thixotropic paint as both paints have their own unique properties. The function of acrylic emulsion in acrylic paints is to form a water-resistant film after drying out. Another function of the acrylic emulsion is to improve the abrasion resistance, resistance to fungi and algae, and improving the washability of the paint.
All the above-mentioned additives can be obtained from different Malaysian chemical suppliers.
Check out this article too!